Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cooking With Sisters (Pea Pesto Crostini Appetizers)

One of the appetizers served at Giada De Laurentiis' book signing was the pea pesto crostini, and they were so absolutely amazing that I was determined to re-make them for my sister the next time she was in town. (Which happened to be this weekend for a wedding.) I ended up making them for her as well as my other "part" sister, Kylie, and my mother, Robin. So there we were all around the kitchen's island laughing, talking, and making appetizers together. The crostinis were just fabulous to make for Kylie helped with the french bread and LB helped out by slicing tomatoes, and my mother. . . well she sat there keeping us lots and lots of company and wine. (Well for her, LB, and Ky! Ha!)
This recipe comes directly out of Giada's newest cook book; Giada at Home. So no need to run out and buy a thirty five dollar cookbook if you don't mind waiting it out until I have posted every recipe of hers on my blog, because everything Giada cooks up is just splendid and I know sooner or later her entire cookbook will be one hundred percent replicated here in my (mom's) kitchen.
Pea Pesto Crostinis can be made before hand by leaving the pesto refrigerated until time to serve on slightly toasted bread. It can also be made by creating an assembly line if you would like to have everyone in the family involved by having one slice tomatoes, one slice and toast bread, one create pesto, and one more to assemble the appetizers together. (Which is exactly what we did to make everything go by that much faster and was also easier to make! Oh, and did I mention. . . it makes cooking more fun as well?!) Okay so maybe we sort of did the "assembly line" effect because I did have some help in the kitchen, but in the end I would have to say it was me who did most of the cooking. But hey, it's my passion so who cares, right? (side note: shirt above created by the brilliant Chris Tran who designs fat cows with the phrase high in COWlories underneath the cow!)
So did I say that Ky and LB were there to help me? . . . well lets just say they attempted but got a bit side tracked with the bread knife and sharp pink tomato slicing knife. . . But that is why I love them :-)
So once the appetizers are fully prepared, arrange them neatly onto a serving platter and enjoy with one, four, or a party more! However, my pea pesto crostini did not turn out to look exactly like Giada's, but if I were to copy exactly her ways then that would show my inability to be flexible and creative. Therefore, my tomatoes were sliced a tad different and my bread was toasted a bit thicker. Thankfully though they tasted divine and were so wonderful my mother has decided to make them again next weekend for our neighbor's wedding shower.
Ingredients:
10 ounces frozen peas thawed
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2/3 cup olive oil
somewhat thinly sliced french baguette bread
couple handfuls of cherry tomatoes, halved
LETS COOK!
Pulse together in a food processor the peas, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper. With machine still running, pour slowly in 1/3 cup olive oil. Keep machine running about one to two more minutes or until well combined and mostly smooth. Season with more pepper if needed. Set aside. Preheat a stove top griddle or grill pan over medium-high. Brush both sides of each of the bread slices with the remaining olive oil and grill until golden brown, about 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer bread to platter and spread evenly pesto and then arrange two tomatoe slice on each piece, serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment