Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quesadillas, Burritos, Whatever You Call Them ( W/Black Beans and Peppers)

 My mother was making bar-b-qued potatoes tonight, thus leaving me on my own. I didn't really mind at all however, because I was in the mood for something a bit more festive and was eager to cook anyways. Therefore I dug through the pantry and refrigerator to find a few peppers, black beans, and whole wheat tortillas. So obviously mexican came to mind, and this is what I came up with. I threw whatever I found and thought would taste good together in what was originally going to be a quesadilla. However, I ended up eating most of the "quesadilla" with a fork, for if I were to recreate this dish again, I would make it more of a burrito style considering the quesadillas weren't really holding up too well.  
 So below I have prepared a recipe with two different ways of creating it. My suggestion is to go with the burrito-wrap style in order to keep most of the goodness inside the tortilla rather than on an unnecessary fork. Either way, it was absolutely delicious and I don't think I have ever tasted such plump and flavorful peppers before. They were juicy and completely made the entire meal. As many of you know by now I am a vegetarian, so I am constantly having to keeping protein in mind, therefore the beans were added. So to all those vegetarians out there, this makes for a great meal with the many colors of vegetables and proteins added.
Ingredients: (made for about one)
1 whole wheat tortilla
baby spinach leaves
1/4 red pepper thinly sliced
1/4 orange pepper thinly sliced
4 teaspoons black beans
1/3 cup white cheddar, grated
LETS COOK!
For quesadilla style:
cut tortilla in half and place both halves on frying pan over medium-high heat. add cheese, peppers, and beans onto one of the halves. Let cheese melt before adding the other half on top (sandwich style). Remove from heat, cut in half, add spinach, serve and enjoy!
For burrito style:
Place tortilla on frying pan over medium-high heat. Mash up with a fork the beans and add to tortilla. Sprinkle cheese and peppers on top. Remove from heat and add spinach. Wrap up to make a burrito, serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment