Saturday, February 13, 2010

Vegan Corn Chowder

t is the peak of 2 AM and somehow I am still awake after a long day of dreadful school, cycling, and baking. I am starting to wonder if I have taken after my mother...Well any who, here I am blogging about corn chowder while eating my lightly sweetened honey nut cheerios with the computer screen being a bit blurred because really I am tired, yet simply can not sleep therefore I am unable to function properly. My mind is quite the buzz as of now, jumping from one thing to the next. I can not stop thinking of the deadly incident during the first day of the Vancouver Olympics with Nodar Kumaritashvili, nor can not help but wonder how I will manage to squeeze by in a core class for school, and all at the same time, keep thinking how giddy I am for within fourteen hours I will be long on my way with Mr. Handsome to see the Stomp Concert in a new little dress from my favorite store, Urban Outfitters. (yay!)
So I don't really know where I am going with this post...and I should be writing about how wonderful this chowder was. But I am not in the mood to write about food, however I have been wanting to post up this recipe for a number of days now. The time is now 2:22 and as I have been flipping through some recent pictures, I found this one of me and Blake to be quite humorous and worth posting on my blog. The weather here in Texas (yes, who would have thought!) has been extremely cold and breath chilling. Yet still, I trudged along with Blake as he video taped an entire soccer game for his Video Tech class. Luckily, we came prepared with my sister's double snuggie! (Thanks sis for leaving your snuggie here, it has come in great use...Mom has even worn it to one of my tennis tournaments! Hah!) Okay.. now I am really beginning to babble on so before this blog becomes more of an essay... I am just going to post the recipe up and say that it was DELISHIS!!
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil 1 small onion, chopped 1 cup celery, chopped 1 cup carrots, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 2 1/2 cups water 2 cubes vegetable bouillon 2 cups corn 2 cups soy milk 1 tablespoon flour 1 teaspoon dried parsley 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon pepper
LETS COOK!
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and celery; cook until just slightly golden. Stir in carrots and garlic; cook until garlic is slightly golden. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil over high heat. Stir in bouillon, and reduce heat to medium. When bouillon cubes have dissolved, add corn and the vegetables from the skillet. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add water, if necessary. Also if soup may seem a bit liquidy, add a little flour or some instant mashed potato mix. Reduce heat to low, and pour in 1 cup soy milk. Stir soup well, then stir in remaining 1 cup soy milk. Quickly whisk in flour. Stir in parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until chowder thickens, about 15 to 20 minutes. Take about half of the soup and puree in food processor to thicken and make creamy. Add back to pot of soup and stir all together. Serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment