Thursday, December 3, 2009

Baby Mixed Greens Salad


Okay, this may sound strange, unbelievable, and even unfathomable, but I have never liked a salad until this past summer. You are probably thinking how have I lived and gone a whole seventeen plus years with out eating a single green leaf! Well, some how I managed to live, and I did survive. I first found my love of salad when I went with my mother and sister to La Madeline's for lunch one Sunday afternoon. They had both ordered a caesar salad, and it was just unbelievably beautiful! I couldn't resist and I had to order one my self to give this "salad" thing a try. From that day on I fell in love and now I eat salad every chance I get with every meal possible. (If I could, I would probably be eating it with my breakfast!)

My all time favorite salads, hands down, are caesar salads with the perfectly delightful creamy textured and thick dressing, as well as any salad with baby spinach leaves and a thin, light vinaigrette. I decided to mix all my favorite ingredients into one big salad, and have a variety of textures as well as a variety of different green leaves. This salad borders between a warm side dish and a crunchy full on entree. The warm, hard boiled egg wilts the spinach just enough to melt them around the chopped almonds and crumbled feta cheese. It is absolutely delicious if you are a salad lover, and your taste buds will be begging for that next bite. . .
Ingredients: (all will depend on the size of salad being made)
baby green leaf lettuce
baby spinach (make sure to have more of this than the other two)
baby Romain lettuce
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup almonds
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 red onion
2 tablespoons orange juice with pulp
1 cup balsamic vinaigrette
LETS COOK!
boil eggs and peel shell off once boiled. clean all lettuce and leaves with water and pick off every stem from the baby spinach. (may take a while, but worth it in the end!) In a small bowl mix orange juice and vinaigrette together and set aside. In serving bowl, place lettuces inside. Roast almonds for a few minutes over medium-high heat in frying pan with olive oil until golden brown. Remove from heat and cut into halves, placing them on top of lettuce. Add the sliced hard boiled egg and crumbled feta cheese. Chop small pieces of the red onion, then add to salad. When ready to serve, pour vinaigrette over salad, toss, and enjoy! (simple as one, two, three!)

No comments:

Post a Comment