Thursday, December 3, 2009

Linguine with Shrimp and Orange Shrimp sauce


So I am going to have to admit I stole this recipe from the good and trust Houston Chronicle. Many of my recipes do indeed come from the Houston Chronicle, for whoever is documenting these recipes in the newspaper must be amazing chefs as well as geniuses. I first made this dinner on an ordinary night for my parents, in which we enjoyed eating by the fire while watching Wheel-Of-Fortune. My mother and I agreed that I should make it again for my grandparents when they came in town, because it was that good. (For me to re-make a recipe, and to even re-make it for my grandparents, means it MUST be an A+ recipe.) When I was first telling my grandma of this recipe, she turned to me saying she made it the past week from her newspaper in San Antonio! What are the odds? with there being dozens and dozens of recipes in two separate newspapers. Therefore, I am here to tell you, (and yes, I do have witnesses) that this is one pasta you do not want to skip over.

My camera was not completely cooperating with me, so the photo did turn out a bit blurry. However, as it may not appear, this pasta is rich, creamy, warm, and perfect for any night and any occasion. The odd orange sauce is what caught my attention and is what made this pasta an outcast compared to the typical fettuccine alfredo or spaghetti and meatballs. (Recipe has been modified by me and my grandma to create an even better pasta experience.)
Ingredients:
3/4 pound large shrimp
2 medium cloves garlic
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 pound linguine
6-7 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
1 cup whipping cream
2-3 tablespoons flour
LETS COOK!
Fill a pot for the pasta with about 6 quarts of water, place over high heat, and bring to a boil. Add a few handfuls of salt and olive oil to the pot. Peel and devein the shrimp. Cut one-third of the shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces and leave the rest whole. Peel and lightly crush the garlic cloves. Put the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet, add the garlic, and place over medium-high heat. Saute until garlic cloves are lightly browned on all sides, then remove them and discard as much as possible while still leaving the olive oil in the pan. While the garlic is sauteing, dissolve the tomato paste in the white wine. After removing the garlic closes, add the wine with dissolved tomato paste to the pan and cook until the liquid has reduced by about half. Add the whole shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp have turned pink, 2 to 3 min. then remove the pan from the heat. When the water for the pasta is boiling, add about 2 tablespoons of more salt, add the linguine, and stir until all the strands are submerged, Cook until al dente. Finely chop enough parsley to measure 2 tablespoons. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked shrimp to a cutting board. Chop Finley into a "mush", then return them to the pan. Place the pan back over medium-high heat and add the cream. Cook until the cream has reduced by about half, and add flour if sauce appears more liquidy than creamy. Add the raw shrimp and the parsley. Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook until the shrimp pieces turn pink, 1 to 2 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat. When the pasta is done, drain well, toss with the sauce, serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment