Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Spekulatius (No Translation Cookies)


Christmas is a time for traditions where dinners are always the same as years before, "Santa's" cookies are always made with the same ingredients, and presents are always opened in the evening of the day. But this year my grandma and I decided to put a little twist on Christmas and Santa's cookies. My grandmother brought a new recipe with her that has now become a new family tradition. In fact, these cookies have even taken place of our "older" cookie cutter cookies that would be made every Christmas which was enjoyed while drinking a cup of coffee and opening presents under the tree. Looks like these cookies have truly won over my family's heart. . .
I have never made a spice cookie until these. I don't know about y'all, but something about mixing all different spices doesn't quite sound for an even decent cookie. When I hear of any recipe calling for multiple spices, the first thing I picture is either all my kitchen windows open trying to air out the "spicy" and extremely strong smell, or me gulping glasses of water down my throat for I tend to be very sensitive towards "spicy" foods. But this cookie is not like that at all, for these spices make for a great aroma during the holiday times where it is even necessary to blow out all artificial candles. These cookies are far from "spicy" and taste wonderful for the holidays. (A new fave. of mine!)
Ingredients:
130 grams butter (softened)
120 grams brown sugar
1 egg
250 grams flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
pinch of salt
40 grams ground almonds
LETS COOK!
Cream with an electric mixer the butter and then the sugar and then the egg. With wooden spoons, then add in all other ingredients. (might even need to use your hands to form a ball of dough) Refrigerate and let cool to harden just enough to be able to roll out on lightly floured surface. Roll out thinly, only about 2 mm thick. Take your cookie cutters and have fun! (I used hearts and stars) Bake at 375 degrees fahrenheit until a light yellow. (I didnt even use a timer for these cookies, instead I sat by the oven and checked them every few minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment