Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Home-made Pizza Sauce

It was time for another challenge, and this time it was to master the Italian art of fresh tomato sauce. My mother was more than skeptical and had little encouragement when I announced that I would be making the pizza sauce versus buying it strait out of a jar. This only gave me more encouragement, because the last two times she said those exact same words about my cooking was when I made my 17th birthday cake and my well known chocolate Italian truffles. (Which might I add, those specific recipes are not only a success but my very favorites.) Therefore, I ignored her little comment, opened up my cookbook, sliced a few tomatos, and went strait to the stove.
I will admit that this is not my favorite tomato sauce and I have tasted better. Maybe because only true Italians can actually master this specialty? Or maybe because it was my very first time to create a tomato sauce and I might have added a bit too much salt. So, I advise those to use a very little to possibly even no salt when adding the spices to the equation. But in the end, since the sauce is only part of a whole to the entire pizza, it was successful and I would make it again. I absolutely loved how the sauce had flare with its chunky tomato bits, yet still a smooth and creamy sauce texture. As a whole, the sauce I felt was very authentic and very Italian-esc. I pat my self of the back to making such a little ingredient, yet has a huge impact in a pizza as a whole.
Ingredients:
5 Roma tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Splash of white wine
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt (OR LESS!!)
1 small potato
LETS COOK!
Bring medium pot of water to a boil. Poach the tomatoes for one minute only, and then drain them. As soon as they are cooled off enough that you can touch them, peel them. Drain and dry the pot. Put it back on the burner over medium heat. Pour in olive oil and let it heat completely before adding the garlic and stirring it for a minute with a wooden spoon. Add the red pepper flakes and stir it for anther minute. You do not want the garlic to brown. Put the peeled tomatoes in the pot, along with the wine, sugar and salt. Break the tomatoes up with your spoon. Add the potato in small chunks. (only do this after tasting a bit of the sauce and if the seasoning of salt is too strong. . . it will soak in some of the salt, otherwise do not worry about the potato)
Let the sauce simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes break down. Carefully taste without burning your tongue and adjust seasonings, if necessary. (If used potato, before using sauce remove potatoes. . . no longer need them.) Add to pizza dough, or whatever and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I was skeptical, but the sauce and pizza were delicious. Thank you for making another wonderful meal Megan!
    Your mom

    ReplyDelete