Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vegetarian Pizza (Arugula, Basil, and Tomato Pizza)

CONFESION: the pizza crust is Pillsbury. I know this comes as a shocker to most as it does me and I am almost ashamed to be putting this recipe into my blog because I feel that I did not one hundred percent make it but I have a good reason! And before I explain my very good reason as to why I was forced to buy the crust, let me add that I am a good bread baker and I know for a fact would I have more time I would have made an excellent pizza crust. But this is what happened. . . I was following a recipe for pizza crust ingredient by ingredient, yet some how there must have been a glitch (because something like this has never happened to me before) and the bread would simply not rise! Therefore my brilliant mother (Ha! I am sorry mom but it was not completely all my fault!) told me to put the dough into the oven to warm up letting the dough rise faster. I worried that the bread might bake. So thirty minutes late I asked my mother, yet she calmly responded assuring me that nothing would happen and the dough would not be hurt. So I left it there. And I left it there. And I left it there for maybe two hours. And I checked it. And . . . not to my surprise, the dough was hard. It crumbled in my hands as the outer layer had baked its way to pieces. I should have known! But my mother was so assuring and is way more experienced than I am, so I trusted her. Anyways, a few minutes of sadness later, I was forced to go to the grocery store and buy dough because it was near eight o'clock and I knew I would not have time to search up a new recipe and start fresh.
Now that I have explained my terrible crust fiasco, Pillsbury dough actually did make for an excellent crust and balanced well with all my other fresh ingredients. I would like to introduce that this pizza is one of my many to come fresh from the garden recipes, because I garnished the top with fresh basil strait out of my new herb garden. And the smell is just divine. Might I add. . . notice I said new herb garden because as we have all learned earlier how my old herbs were sadly murdered, my mother and grandmother were nice enough to surprise me with a whole new set of herbs that I could easily plant right away in the garden making sure nothing could go wrong second time around. So this pizza is topped with fresh, home-grown basil, freshly sliced tomatoes, baby arugula, and lots and lots of freshly grated mozzarella cheese. All the flavors combined are mouth watering and liven up a regular ol' pizza any day!
Ingredients: (makes for half a pizza)
Pillsbury original pizza dough
one Roma tomato, thinly sliced
tomato sauce (recipe on my website)
handful of baby arugula
couple leaves of basil, torn
1/4 pound freshly grated mozzarella
1/3 cup four Italian cheese, grated
olive oil
LETS COOK!
Preheat oven to 450 or as high as oven will go and grease with olive oil a pizza stone. Roll dough out into circle and place onto stone. Apply tomato sauce evenly on top and then sprinkle cheeses on top. Place the tomato next and then the basil. Then add the next half of the pizza with same ingredients or anything else you would like! Bake for about 15 to 20 minute or until crust is golden and pizza is ready. Take out of oven and garnish with baby arugula. Serve warm and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about your homemade dough not rising. But the pizza still looks good!

    Since you're using homegrown basil, come share your recipe in our Grow Your Own roundup this month. Full details at

    http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/03/announcing-grow-your-own-40.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this article understand the most important thing, the item will give you a keyword rich link a great useful website page:

    ReplyDelete